Boys’ Cross Country Takes 2nd at Conference Preview

Boys Cross Country Takes 2nd at Conference Preview

The LHS Boys’ Cross Country Team took 2nd place at the Southwest Conference Preview meet this past Saturday, August 27. The meet which took place at Lorain County Community College, featured all 10 teams of the Southwest Conference, which includes, Amherst, Avon, Avon Lake, Berea-Midpark, Lakewood, Midview, North Olmsted, North Ridgeville, Olmsted Falls, and Westlake.

Avon Lake won the meet with 59 points, edging out Lakewood by just 2 points, who had 61 points. Leading the way for the Rangers was senior Henry Bish, who took 3rd place with a time of 17:07.8. Sr. Ty’saun Blevins of Lakewood took 9th place with a time of 17:47. Also scoring for the Rangers were Jr. Evan Budzar (13th place, 18:02.1), Jr. Joe Burtzlaff (14th place, 18:02.8), and Sr. Micah Swartz (22nd place, 18:34.5). Sebastian Francesconi of Westlake was the overall winner with a time of 16:38.2. Amherst’s Josh Hill took 2nd overall in a time of 16:47.

Although the Rangers had hoped to take 1st place, the team knows that with this being the first meet, they will have plenty of more chances to get wins, especially in big races at the end of the season when it counts. Sr. Micah Swartz isn’t too concerned with not winning the meet, “It’s like losing a scrimmage on a buzzer beater” Swartz said, “We have a lot more meets this year, we’ll be fine.”

The Rangers will continue their season as they travel to Chagrin Falls for the Kenston Frank Gibas Invite on September 3rd. The meet which takes place at Kenston High School, features several strong teams including Boardman, Kenston, and Solon, a pre-season favorite to win the state meet this year.