Friday September 9, 2016

Have you made plans for Spring Break 2017 yet??? Have you ever wanted to go snorkeling, visit a volcano or go kayaking around the base of one, take a canopy tour in the rain forest or visit a coffee plantation?  If so, then you must come to the Travel Club meeting next Thursday, September 15th at 7pm in room A127 as we discuss our upcoming trip to Nicaragua and Costa Rica! Travel Club is open to any LHS student – See Ms. Breckel or Mr. Heslep for further information!

Are you interested in helping or learning more about the environment? If so, come to the first meeting of Lakewood’s Environmental Club starting Monday, September 12th right after school in A315. Hope to see you there!

Barney’s Café (aka Coffee House) will be on September 22nd. Art in many forms: Poetry, Music and Prose. Performers and audience on The Civic stage together. Questions??? Ask Ms Hankins, Mr. Farinelli or Ms. Sabin. Sign up to perform on the sheet located on The Civic door. Everyone is invited to participate either as a performer or as an audience member. This event is free!!! No Auditions. This event is presented by The Barnstormers and The LHS Orchestras. All proceeds will go to equipping the new Black Box Theatre space.

The author, Susan Campbell Bartoletti will be visiting Lakewood Public Library on October 4th. Ms. Bartoletti has written these award-winning books, which can be found in our library: The Boy Who Dared, Black Potatoes, Kids on Strike and Hitler Youth. There will be a walking field trip for those who would like to hear her speak on October 4th.  If you are interested in the field trip, please sign up in the LRC. Space is limited, so sign up as soon as possible.

Attention 10th graders and students new to Lakewood High School:  Watters Science Seminar applications are due Friday, September 16th by 3:15.  Submit applications to Mrs. Smith (A319) or Mrs. Alten (A212).  See your science teacher for more information.

We will soon begin selling tickets to the Homecoming Dance, if you have not returned your textbooks from previous years, you will not be able to purchase tickets to the dance on October 1st. So if you have overdue textbooks, you must turn them into the bookroom before September 15th.

Attention all 7th thru 12th grade girls who are interested in trying out for basketball this season.  Open gyms will be every Tuesday and Thursday from 6:00-8:00pm, and Sundays from 10:00am-Noon. All open gyms will be at Roosevelt Elementary School.

Sunday, September 11th, marks the 15th anniversary of 9/11. To commemorate the nearly 3,000 lives lost on that horrific day, Key Club will be placing flags on the front lawn to represent the victims, and our countries patriotism. If you would like to help place flags and be part of a great opportunity to represent these victims and our country, please meet on the front lawn right after school today!

Art Club and National Art Honor Society will have their first meeting today after school in B206. We will begin brainstorming ideas for the Homecoming decorations and discuss election of art club officers.  See Mrs. Hansen if you cannot attend. 

$4.00 presale student tickets for tonight’s home football game will be sold in the bookroom today … after school only.

Today’s à la cartes in the cafeteria are:

Friday Fries $1.00

Deep Dish Turkey Pepperoni Pizza $2.50

Fiestadas $2.50