Thursday September 15, 2016

Have you made plans for Spring Break 2017 yet??? Have you ever wanted to go snorkeling, visit a volcano or go kayaking around the base of one, take a canopy tour in the rain forest or visit a coffee plantation?  If so, then you must come to the Travel Club meeting tonight at 7pm in room A127 as we discuss our upcoming trip to Nicaragua and Costa Rica! Travel Club is open to any LHS student – See Ms. Breckel or Mr. Heslep for further information!

Attention 10th graders and students new to Lakewood High School:  Watters Science Seminar applications are due tomorrow by 3:15.  Submit applications to Mrs. Smith (A319) or Mrs. Alten (A212).  See your science teacher for more information.

Interested in video production, electronic technology, computer networking or telecommunications?  There is a free event at University of Akron – Lakewood to learn about technological opportunities in cable telecommunications.  It’s September 29th from 9-1pm. There will be hands-on sessions, technology demonstrations, panel discussions with industry leaders and people who are currently working in telecommunication jobs…stop by the West Shore Office for more information.

Announce on Thursdays (Sept 15, 22, 29, Oct 6, 13)

Seniors & Juniors– Do you know what you are going to do after you graduate from high school?

Here’s an opportunity to help you start thinking about career fields or confirm your career direction. Take the ASVAB Career Exploration assessment at LHS on Oct 19th – the same day as the PSAT.   After the test, you’ll see which career pathways line up with your interests and knowledge.

Sign up in the West Shore Career–Tech Office by Oct 13th.

We will be selling tickets to the Homecoming Dance beginning Monday, September 19th, if you have not returned your textbooks from previous years, you will not be able to purchase tickets to the dance. So if you have overdue textbooks, you will have to turn them in to the bookroom by the end of school today.

Attention all 9th grade students. You can now pick up your Chromebook in House 1. Please make sure you have both your purple Chromebook and AUP forms signed in order to pick up your Chromebook.

Attention all students interested in being a part of the Westshore Young Leaders program – Leadership training will take place on Friday, September 23rd. Permission slips are in the bookroom – registration is limited to the first 7 students who turn in their signed permission forms.  If you have questions, please see Mrs. Firstenberger.

Art Club and National Art Honor Society will meet again tomorrow after school. We will have officer elections and begin making homecoming dance decorations. It’s not too late to join, stop by Mrs. Hansen’s room in B206 for details.

Do you identify as part of the LGBTQ spectrum, or as an ally who supports the LGBTQ community? If so, please join Club Identity this Tuesday, September 20th, for our start of the year meeting after school in mod 37, Mr. Overholt’s room. Refreshments will be provided. Hope to see you there!

Barney’s Café is September 22nd at 7pm on The Civic stage. Do you have a hidden or not so hidden talent in poetry, prose, music, visual arts and all other performing art forms that you can think of? Be part of a live intimate setting when performers and audience share The Civic stage. No auditions, signup sheet is posted on the door to The Civic. Come enjoy coffee, tea and other beverages. Bake sale from the Barnstormers to go with your awesome beverages. This event is sponsored by The Barnstormers and the LHS Orchestra programs.

The bookroom will be closed 8th period today.

Today’s à la cartes in the cafeteria are:

Chicken Ranch w/Mozzarella Cheese Wrap $3.50

Deep Dish Turkey Pepperoni Pizza $2.50

Fiestadas $2.50