Lakewood’s Nature’s Bin To Close

Lakewoods Natures Bin To Close

After 41 years of bringing fresh, organic, and wholesome food to their storefront, as well as providing jobs for people with disabilities, Lakewood’s Nature’s Bin is set to close next month on November 12.

A local natural food market, Nature’s Bin has been many people’s go-to for vegetarian or vegan products, produce, baked goods, vitamins, and more, for years. Multiple competing chain businesses have led to Nature’s Bin closure, including other natural food-based stores such as Whole Foods, which just opened not long ago a stone’s throw away in Rocky River.

“The community’s support over the years through donations to Cornucopia and by shopping at Nature’s Bin is appreciated and has helped to make it possible for people who participated in our training programs to gain valuable tools that prepare them to enter the workforce and lead more productive lives,” says Nancy Peppler, Cornucopia’s executive director, on Nature Bin’s website. “However, as options for purchasing traditional, natural and organic products have expanded, we have experienced a dramatic decline in sales and we can no longer continue to operate Nature’s Bin.”

According to Lakewood Patch, Nature’s Bin is run by Cornucopia, a business that helps to train those with special needs in order to obtain the skills they need for employment. These skills are fine-tuned at multiple training sites, including Nature’s Bin. Cornucopia’s other training facilities will continue to provide these resources, including Lakewood’s Cornucopia Vocational Training Center and and Catering Kitchen, meaning that Nature’s Bin will continue its catering services.

Overall, Nature’s Bin will be a truly devastating loss for the citizens of Lakewood as expressed in the words of Mayor Mike Summers:

“This store has been an important part of our community for decades and it is sad news that it is closing. It is our hope that the City of Lakewood can work with Cornucopia to make some of the healthy foods that you love from Nature’s Bin available through concessions at Lakewood Park. We have an opportunity as a community to seek ways to support Cornucopia and its mission and I would encourage all of us to do that.”

Farewell, Nature’s Bin. You will be missed.