Boys’ Cross Country Wins Conference Title

Boys Cross Country Wins Conference Title

The LHS Boys’ Varsity Cross Country Team took 1st place at the Southwest Conference Championship this past Saturday, October 15, winning their first conference championship since entering the SWC, as well as their first conference title since 2004. The meet which took place at Lorain County Community College, featured all 10 teams of the Southwest Conference, which includes: Amherst, Avon, Avon Lake, Berea-Midpark, Lakewood, Midview, North Olmsted, North Ridgeville, Olmsted Falls, and Westlake.

The Rangers won the meet with 63 points, beating out Avon Lake who was 2nd with 75 points. Leading the way for the Rangers was Senior Henry Bish, who took 5th place with a time of 16:57.6 and earned All-Conference First Team. Juniors Joe Burtzlaff and Evan Budzar both earned All-Conference Second Team, placing 9th and 11th with times of 17:19.3 and 17:23.7. Rounding out the scoring for the Rangers were Senior Ty’Saun Blevins (17th place, 17:31.8) and Senior Micah Swartz (21st place, 17:47.8). Sebastian Francesconi of Westlake took home the individual title with a time of 16:27.2. Berea-Midpark’s Sean Peterson took 2nd place overall with a time of 16:32.7.

In the Boys Open Race, the Rangers took 2nd place with 56 points. Avon Lake won the race scoring just 42 points. Freshman Max Budzar led the Rangers taking 2nd place in the race with a time of 18:07.3. Also scoring for the Rangers were Senior Ethan Nieves-Stames (8th place, 18:39.8), Junior Julius Alvarez (9th place, 18:51.6), Freshman Patrick McCallum (18th place, 19:22.7), and Junior Rory Meehan (19th place, 19:27.8).

The Rangers Varsity squad will compete next at the OHSAA District Championship on Saturday, October 22. The meet takes place at Lorain County Community College, where the Boys Race begins at 2:15. The top 5 teams and top 20 individuals will advance to the OHSAA Regional Championship in Boardman, Ohio on Saturday, October 29.