Indians Move On

On October 19, the Cleveland Indians won the American League Championship Series, three games to one, over the Toronto Blue Jays.

Rookie Ryan Merritt, a newly-discovered asset to the Indians, was able to showcase his talent during his second time ever as a starting pitcher in the Major Leagues.

After being taunted before the game by the Blue Jays’ Jose Bautista, Merritt rose to the occasion of pitching in what could be the last game of the ALCS. Bautista’s prediction that Merritt would be “shaking in his boots” was proved wrong by the fact that the Indians dominated Toronto with a final score of 3-0– a great way to end Jose Bautista’s birthday. Home runs by the Indians’ Coco Crisp, Francisco Lindor, and Carlos Santana helped to solidify the lead and move the team on to the next round.

The last time the Cleveland Indians won the World Series was in 1948 against the Boston Braves. Notable players from the Indians include Bob Feller, Joe Gordon, and Bob Lemon. This was the first World Series to ever be nationally televised, and it was the only series from 1947 to 1958 in which a New York team had not been featured. Attendance for the 1948 World Series games at Cleveland Stadium reached over 86,000 — in one game alone.

The Indians will now play in the World Series for the first time since 1997 against the Chicago Cubs. The first game of the 2016 series starts on Tuesday, October 25 at Progressive Field in Cleveland.