Thursday November 10, 2016

Are you looking for a great volunteer opportunity? Do you have a relative, neighbor, or a friend that can donate 30 minutes before or after school to a help child with reading? If so, then Mentoring with Project More at Hayes Elementary is for you!

As a Project More Mentor you will:

Provide one-on-one instruction at the student’s reading level.  You will work with a student from grades K-5 a minimum of 2 days per week.  You will be trained by experienced Project More mentors and will use a simple scripted program.  All materials and directions are provided for each tutoring session!  It’s so easy to make a difference in the life of a child through the Project More Program!

Stop by the West Shore Offices to pick up an application for Hayes Elementary.

Do you have any spare change? Looking to make a difference? The Culinary Arts department is now collecting donations for Ronald McDonald House until this Friday. Every year, the students collect money to purchase ingredients to prepare a fabulous dinner for the families staying at the Ronald McDonald House. Staff and students can drop off their donations in the Bookroom, Chef Corti’s mailbox or the Ranger Café. We are hoping to raise at least $200.00.

Every penny counts, so please donate!

To the 400 students who have not yet turned in your AUP form to the LRC, you have until the end of the day tomorrow.  Computer access will be cut off next week for those who do not turn in their AUP form.

Reader alert: The Lakewood Public librarians will be in the library during lunch periods today. Come listen to book talks and hear about what is happening this fall at Lakewood Public Library.

Do you like to help others? If you said “yes”, then Medical Office Management needs your help. We are collecting nail polish, nail files, and nail polish remover to benefit University Hospital’s Hospice Program today thru November 30th. The class will be preparing nail polish kits for hospice patients. Please bring your donations to Room A201.

There will be a Boys Indoor Track sign up Meeting on Thursday, November 17th right after school in room A102. Any and all are welcome. Questions, see Coach Dow.

Barney’s Café tonight, at 7:00pm. Poetry, Music and Prose. Performers and audience on The Civic stage together. This event is free!!! Barnstormers will be selling coffee and other beverages and baked goods. If you signed up to perform please check your school email for important information. Call time is 6:45pm for performers. This event is presented by The Barnstormers and The LHS Orchestras. All proceeds will go to equipping the new Black Box Theatre space.

There are five Boys Cross Country Southwestern Conference T-Shirts for sale in the Athletic Office for $15.00…the quantity and sizes are…Three 2-XL’s, 1 medium and 1 small.

If you are interested in wrestling this year please stop by the athletic office to pick up a practice schedule. The first day of official practice is tomorrow.

Have you ever dreamed of walking the ancient streets of Rome? The opportunity for you is around the corner. If you are interested is visiting Rome over Spring break, stop into the art department and we can tell you how to make this dream a reality. There are only 2 spots left so don’t delay.

Attention:   All Hockey players.  Lifetouch will be taking pictures tomorrow at Winterhurst.  Any players that want to buy pictures please pick up order forms in the Athletic office today before 4:00 pm.

The Class of 2018 will be collecting money during 3° next week November 14th thru the 18th for “Hope for the Holidays”. The class that raises the most money will win the first place prize of a food party and the warm fuzzy feeling knowing that this donation drive will help to feed 300 Lakewood families this Thanksgiving and 300 at Christmas.

Attention all Educator’s Rising club members, our next meeting will be held Wednesday, November 16th at 3:15 in Ms. Stephenson’s room, A202. We will begin our first project, Elementary School Pen Pals. Mark it on your calendar! And for anyone else interested in Educators Rising, it’s not too late to sign up.

Today’s à la cartes in the cafeteria are:

Hot & Spicy Chicken Strips w/Cheese Wrap $3.50

Deep Dish Turkey Pepperoni Pizza $2.50

Fiestadas $2.50