H2O’s MLK Jr. Day of Service

Lakewood City Schools will be taking a one day break this upcoming Monday January 16th in order to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day. However, there is no time off from community service! Lakewood High School students will be dedicating their day off to volunteering with H2O at the MLK Jr. Day of Service.

When filling out the permission form, the volunteers are instructed to select their three top service site options from a plentiful list of amazing opportunities. Students will be sent to various service sites in the morning and return to Lakewood Park later that day for a lunch held by Lakewood High School’s own Race and Diversity Club. Service sites include activities such as visiting the Westerly Apartments to sort and repackage pet food for families in need– cleverly named “My Best Friend’s Bowl”. Another site included in this day dedicated to giving back is H2O Knitters, a site reserved for learning how to knit in order to make hats and cowls for homeless children. The students will also participate in activities such as learning basic bicycle maintenance, packaging children’s books, and leading projects for elementary school students involving MLK Jr. Day.

This day is an amazing service opportunity and is highly recommended for anyone who is looking to give back. There is so much appreciation for these students who are willing to volunteer on not only their day off, but the day before midterms begin at LHS. H2O is always offering many other community service activities just as fulfilling as this one! Just go to the H2O office on the first floor of Lakewood High School and sign up. Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day, LHS!