Boy Scouts Allow Transgender Boys to Join Troops

BSA symbol. Courtesy of scouting.org
    BSA symbol. Courtesy of scouting.org

Boy Scouts have been seen as the staple of a right of passage for boys. It teaches the skills one associates with masculinity and gives a place to make friend for growing boys. Though the organization has been clouded by controversy over the passed years due to their policies towards boys who are openly gay within troops. Such a thing would be making those who are gay dress and bathe in different places from the other boys, and banning gay men from being scout leaders.

However, over the past week that has changed with an action taken to show support towards those who are growing youths and part of the LGBT—that being their acceptance of allowing boys who are transgender. “We’ve taken the opportunity to evaluate and update our approach. I hope you’ll join with me in embracing the opportunity to bring scouting to more families and children who can benefit from what our organization has to offer,” Chief Scot Executive Michael Surbaugh commented on the issue.

The vetting of entrance used to go by what the identity was on one’s birth certificate. Now it is based on what the child identifies as. A shift that has also been adopted by the more progressive Girl Scouts, whom have been accepting of trans-identified scouts and those who have alternative sexualities. The shift is changing the definition of what makes a man while still holding onto the core beliefs the Boy Scouts of America pride themselves on.

The idea is national, despite the state-to-state stances on the issues. It is stances the organization to be progressive and stay as a staple as a boy’s—any boy’s—source of community and growth.