Wednesday February 15, 2017

Better hurry up and get your Winter Dance tickets! The cost is $15 thru next Wednesday, February 22nd, this only gives you 4 days to purchase a ticket at this price. The cost of the ticket will go up to $20 next Thursday. You must have a signed form in order to purchase a ticket, so pick up a form in the bookroom today. This year’s theme for the Winter Dance is “Casino Night”. Don’t miss out on the fun! The dance is next Saturday, February 25th at Harding from 7:00 to 10:00pm. Seniors! With your purchase of a Winter Dance ticket, you will be automatically entered into a drawing to win a corsage or boutonniere and the senior class T-shirt.

Show your school spirit by joining us for a fundraiser to support LHS Girls Track & Field. Come in to the Lakewood Chipotle tomorrow between 5:00pm & 9:00pm. Bring in the flyer, show it on your smartphone or tell the cashier you’re supporting LHS Girls’ Track & Field.

Looking for a great summer job?  Lakewood Recreation is now hiring enthusiastic and responsible students for summer jobs as lifeguards, pool attendants, concession workers, baseball scorekeepers and more!  Complete an application at www.lakewoodrecreation.com.  Lifeguard training courses are available this spring – sign up today!

Are you interested in learning how to communicate using American Sign Language?  Interested in learning more about the language and culture of the Deaf community? This club is open to all staff and students!!!  Our first meeting will be next Wednesday after school in Room C307.  Bring a friend and let’s start signing.

The Young Conservatives Club will meet tomorrow at 3:15 in room C311. The club aims to be a forum to discuss politics and to give a voice to those that feel they are a part of the silent majority. Refreshments will be served.

“Volunteers kicking it for children’s cancer” are holding a bake sale to raise money for pediatric cancer research, tomorrow after school. They will be selling cookies, cupcakes and other goodies inside the main entrance in front of the trophy cases, just outside of the H2O office.

Model UN is meeting today at 5:30pm in C314.  Students are reminded that position papers must be submitted by 5:00pm.  Questions, see Dr. G.

Poem submissions for Race and Diversity’s Spoken Word Contest on Feb. 22nd are due to Room C309 by this Friday, February 17th.  All are welcome to perform.  Prizes to the winners. See your Social Studies or English teacher with questions.

RAD will be hosting the Movie “Belle” after school today, in C309.  Belle is about the mixed race daughter of a Royal Navy Admiral, who is raised by her aristocratic great-uncle in 18th century England.  Come join us!  Refreshments will be served.

Girls interested in playing softball this season, tryouts start Monday, February 20th at 1pm on the football field at Lakewood Stadium. Anyone interested, must attend. Contact Coach Moravcik at [email protected] for more info.

Seniors!! By now you should have your college applications and FAFSA done. Now is the time to be looking at SCHOLARSHIPS!!! We have multiple scholarships that you can look at outside of guidance or in Naviance under scholarships. A few examples are…Cox, Charles Winning, Kiwanis, Lakewood Rangers, College Now, Jack & Shirley Berger, CAVS to name a few. Please start looking. If you have any questions see Mrs. Sandoval in Guidance.

Attention LHS Readers:  The Lakewood Public Library Librarians will be here tomorrow to talk about their new books and programs.  There are exciting things happening at your public library.  Come to the LRC during lunch periods 4th through 6th tomorrow to hear all about it.  See you there!

Today’s ala cartes in the cafeteria are:

Taco Wedges .50¢

Deep Dish Turkey Pepperoni Pizza $2.50