Friday March 10, 2017

All Kick-It teams and all those interested in being part of the kickball fun that raises money for much needed research to kick cancer for children like Jeremy Steinbrick at Garfield Middle School should check in with Mrs. Chodzin in the H2O office in B125 TODAY.  The office is open now and will be open all day and after school.

Hey everyone! St. Baldrick’s is next Tuesday and we are still raising money to Conquer Childhood Cancer! See Mr. Wondrak in C114 or Mr. Stelter in C121 if you’d like to donate! Update, for all that are shaving their heads… See Mr. Wondrak for your St. Baldrick’s t-shirt!

Join Club ID on Tuesday, March 14th at 3:15 in C219, Mr. Overholt’s room, to discuss our recent Diversity and Leadership event and to enjoy some fun games with friends. Refreshments will be provided! 

Seniors!  If you are interested in representing your class and speaking at commencement, please sign up in the cafeteria, outside room C215 or outside of the Bookroom.  Tryouts will take place after school on March 20th.  Questions, see Mr. Lamphear in C215.

Prom & after prom forms are now available in the bookroom.  Get the forms filled out and order your tickets now.  Don’t miss out.  The deadline is fast approaching.

Also, Seniors!  There’s still time to order flowers and your senior T-shirts but time is running out quickly, so get your orders in today!

Registrations for the AP exams are now underway in the Book Room.  Registration forms are available in the Bookroom, from your AP teachers and your house office. A $15 deposit per exam is required and due by March 22nd.  This date is set by the College Board, therefore we cannot accept deposits after March 22nd or you will have to pay a $55 per test LATE Fee!   See Mr. Takacs if you have questions.

Rangerette & Flag clinics & tryouts will be coming up soon. The Rangerette clinics are March 20th thru the 22nd with tryouts on Thursday, March 23rd. The Flags clinics are April 3rd thru the 6th, with tryouts on Friday, April 7th.  Both are at Garfield Middle School gym and they are both scheduled from 4-6pm each day.

Key Club is collecting canned food items to be donated to the Cleveland Food Bank. If you would like to donate any items to the drive, please drop them off in Ms. Stephenson’s Room A202. The drive will continue through today.

Attention Educators Rising members: Our next meeting is Wednesday, March 15, after school in Ms. Stephenson’s Room. We will be writing back to our elementary school pen pals and discussing topics in the world of education. Everyone is welcomed to attend! Refreshments will be provided.

Are you a senior planning to attend college next year and major in education?  If this is you, there are opportunities for $500 scholarships available through the Lakewood Teachers Association.  Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of financial need, scholastic achievement, extracurricular activities and an essay. Further information about the  on-line application is available in the guidance department and on the LHS web page.

Completed applications are due on Friday, April 7th, 2017. It’s not too soon to get started!

Every day, more than 3,000 kids under 18 try smoking for the first time and 700 kids become new regular, daily smokers. Tobacco use is still the leading cause of preventable death in the U.S., killing more than 480,000 people every year. Wednesday, March 15 is Kick Butts Day. Kick Butts Day is a day of activism that empowers youth to stand out, speak up, and seize control against tobacco. How can you be tobacco free? Come see Key Club during lunch on March 15, and sign the banner to be tobacco free, receive some awesome prizes and enter a raffle to win a $15 chipotle gift card. There will be 5 gift card winners, 1 student from each class, and a staff member.

Today’s ala cartes in the cafeteria are:

Deep Dish Turkey Pepperoni Pizza $2.50

Friday Fries – $1.00