Friday March 17, 2017

Rangerette & Flag clinics & tryouts will be coming soon. The Rangerette clinics are March 20th thru the 22nd with tryouts on Thursday, March 23rd. The Flags clinics are April 3rd thru the 6th, with tryouts on Friday, April 7th.  Both are at Garfield Middle School gym and they are both scheduled from 4-6pm each day.

Join Race & diversity after school next Wednesday, March 22nd in room C309 for a conversation on the power of the media and how it influences the way we see the world.  We will look at one of the biggest issues, especially in today’s political climate: Confirmation Bias.  That’s Wednesday after school in C309.  Refreshments will be served.

Kaplan will be holding our first ever ACT Prepathon on March 25th from 12pm – 6pm. Students can join in live to practice for the upcoming ACT test. Every hour, on the hour, one of our top instructors will coach attendees through a different section of the ACT. For more information and to sign up for this FREE event, please have students visit www.kaptest.com/Prepathon.

Everyone’s favorite service event, the Westerly Grocery Delivery, is today!  Meet us at 14300 Detroit Ave. after school to deliver groceries to the residents of this senior living complex.  More details available in the H2O office in B125.

The After Prom Committee is holding a fundraiser at Melt on Monday, March 20th. You must present a physical copy of the flyer in order for the After Prom Committee to receive credit.

Attention AP Students:  Do you want to earn college credit for all your hard work in your Advanced Placements classes?  Registrations for the AP exams are now underway in the Book Room.  Registration forms are available in the Bookroom, from your AP teachers and your house office. A $15 deposit per exam is required and due by March 22nd.  This date is set by the College Board, therefore we cannot accept deposits after March 22nd or you will have to pay a $55 per test LATE Fee!   See Mr. Takacs if you have questions.

Barney’s Café is Thursday, March 30th at 7:00pm on The Civic stage. Do you have a hidden or not so hidden talent in poetry, prose, music, visual arts and all other performing art forms that you can think of? Be part of a live intimate setting when performers and audience share The Civic stage. No auditions, signup sheet is posted on the door to The Civic.  Come enjoy coffee, tea and other beverages. Bake sale from the Barnstormers to go with your awesome beverages. This event is sponsored by The Barnstormers and the LHS Orchestra programs.​

Attention photography students from last semester:  Please come by Mrs. Hansen’s room to pick up your photos from last semester A.S.A.P. 

Art Club will meet after school today in B206. We will be painting!

Are you a senior planning to attend college next year and major in education?  If this is you, there are opportunities for $500 scholarships available through the Lakewood Teachers Association.  Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of financial need, scholastic achievement, extracurricular activities and an essay. Further information about the on-line application is available in the guidance department and on the LHS web page. Completed applications are due on Friday, April 7, 2017. It’s not too soon to get started!

Good Luck to Abby LaForm, Isaac Karel, Max Evans, Abe Dalisky, Ian Wilt, Seamus Holian, Mohammed Mansour, Faizaa Manaa, Nichole Sullenberger, and Jozef Callentine, who will be competing in the Chemistry Olympiad this week-end.

Today’s ala cartes in the cafeteria are:

Friday Fries $1.00

Deep Dish Turkey Pepperoni Pizza $2.50