A Crazy March

A Crazy March

Every year in the beginning of March people fill out brackets for the college basketball tournament.

It’s called March Madness because of the yearly upsets that occur. For example so far this year 5 seed Minnesota was upset by 12 seed Middle Tennessee 81-72. Their leading scorer had 19 points. Also another upset was 11 seed Xavier beating 6 seed Maryland 76-65.

If you really want to talk about upsets go back to the Round of 32 last weekend. In the second round 8 seed Wisconsin knocked off the Villanova Wildcats who were one of the best teams in the nation and they won the National Championship last year on a buzzer beater.

The leading scorer for Wisconsin was Bronson Koenig who had 17 points and hit some big shots at the end of the game to put away the Wildcats. There are also teams that get hot heading into the tournament and that’s the Michigan Wolverines.

They won the Big Ten tournament as a low seed and made it into the big tournament as a 7 seed. In the first round they beat 10 seed Oklahoma State 92-91. Derrick Walton had 26 points and has led the team the whole year.

On Sunday they played 2 seed Louisville and they won 73-69 after being down by 8 at halftime. Now that’s a team getting hot at the right time. It’s not just about the upsets but also the close games.  In the first round there were 11 games where the final score was within 10 points and a lot of the games were close for the majority of the game if the final score didn’t look close.

We are only 2 rounds into this tournament and you can bet that there will be more upsets and close games.