Opening Day Win

Opening Day Win

The Cleveland Indians opened up their season yesterday in Texas and they traveled all that way to take on the Rangers. Coming off of an amazing season and playoff run, everyone including the players themselves were eager to get onto the field and finally play again.

Early in the game, the Rangers jumped out to a quick 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second. However, Cleveland answered back right away with scoring a run of their own to start of the top of the third. But, that is when things weren’t starting to look to great for the Tribe. When it was the Rangers turn to bat again, they plated four runs in the bottom half of that inning increasing their lead to 5-1 headed into the 4th inning of play.

What could have been a major turning point in the game, turned out to again spark Cleveland’s bats as they wouldn’t back down scoring two more runs of their own to start the top half of the inning. This of course hyped up the whole Cleveland team and bench and had the momentum now shifted back into their way.

It stayed a 5-3 ballgame with the Rangers leading until the 7th and 8th inning came rolling around when Cleveland scored a run in both of those innings including a solo home run by the newest addition to the team power hitter Edwin Encarnacion. Headed into the 9th inning, we had a tied ballgame at 5 each.

After all of the hard work to come back, the Indians were not about to walk away like nothing had just happened. They made the Rangers pay for letting them stick around for so long by tacking on three huge runs in the top of the ninth to give them a big cushion headed into what could be the final half inning of play.

That is what it turned out to be as the Indians closing pitcher Cody Allen took to the field and shut down the game giving the Tribe their first win of the year. It’s always good to go out there and get the first one. Hopefully they can sweep the series and keep the winning streak alive!