US Missile Strike On Syria

The United States fired 59 Tomahawk cruise missiles at Syria overnight in response to what it believes was a chemical weapons attack that killed more than 100 people. At least six people were killed in Syria is what they claimed, but the Pentagon said civilians were not targeted and the strike was aimed at a military airfield in Homs.

All but one of the missiles hit their intended target, one of the U.S. military official told the news place. The strike provoked an angry response from Russia, which is backing the Assad regime in its six-year civil war against a patchwork of rebel factions and other groups, including ISIS.

The strike demonstrated the potential dangers of Russian and American forces operating in proximity and American military planners acted to avert a direct conflict. Fewer than 100

Russian troops deployed in support of the Syrian government of President Bashar al-Assad were believed to be stationed at the Syrian air base targeted by American forces. American officials faulted Russia for not enforcing compliance with a 2013 agreement with Syria to eliminate all of its chemical weapons.

Shortly before the strikes, the head of information policy commission in Russia, Alexei Pushkov, said on Twitter that if President Trump launches a military action in Syria it would put him in “the same league with Bush and Obama.”

The US secretary of state, Rex Tillerson, said the strikes did not indicate a shift in US policy towards Syria, despite it being a significant change from the previous stance taken by the Trump administration.