Five LHS athletes sign to continue sports careers

Lakewood High celebrated the signing of letter of intents of five of its senior Ranger athletes to play collegiate sports at the Division I and II level. Not only are these five Rangers top athletes in their respective sport, but they are stellar students as well. Congratulations to Halle Krebs, Elizabeth Pearlman, Kelley Reis, Daniel Strachan and Gabby Wine!

Halle Krebs will be playing soccer as a student at Division I Belmont University in Nashville, Tenn. She was a four-year varsity starter for the girls’ soccer team and was captain her senior year. She was a First Team All-Conference and First Team All-Greater Cleveland this year. She led her team in goals senior year and in assists junior year. Halle currently has a 4.19 cumulative GPA.
    Elizabeth Pearlman will join the diving team of Division I Youngstown State University. She is a four-year varsity diver for the Rangers and earned All-Conference honorable mention junior and senior years and was a District qualifier all four years. She finished third in the Southwest Conference Championships this year. Elizabeth currently has a 4.03 cumulative GPA.
    Kelley Reis will be swimming for Division I University of Cincinnati. She is a four-year varsity swimmer and team co-captain for the Rangers this year. She is a three-time State Division 1 qualifier, finishing 11th in the 100-yard backstroke this year and 21st in the 100-yard butterfly. Kelley holds the school record in the 100-yard butterfly and the 100-yard backstroke and is part of the relay team that holds the 200-yard medley relay record. Kelley currently has a 4.37 cumulative GPA.
    Daniel Strachan will continue his soccer career at Division I University of Akron. He played his high school career as a defender for Internationals Academy of the U.S. Soccer Development Academy. He was rated as the 18th-ranked player in the Great Lakes Region in the Fall 2016 rankings. Daniel currently has a 3.82 cumulative GPA.

Finally, Gabby Wine will play volleyball for Division II Ursuline College. She is a four-year varsity starter and team captain this year. She led her team in kills this year and has earned All-Conference honorable mention. Gabby currently has a 4.08 cumulative GPA.
    Athletic Director Sean Jackson congratulated the athletes “for taking on and meeting the challenge of being a student athlete. Not only did you excel in athletics and academics, a school has decided to invest in you. People don’t realize that it is more difficult to be awarded an athletic scholarship than a academic scholarship.”
    Congratulations and good luck to these fine Ranger scholar athletes and to all our senior athletes who will continue competing at the college level next year! As Athletic Director Jackson said at the ceremony, “You will forever be a Ranger.”
    \