Should Teachers Have Stricter Due Dates for Grades?

Teacher grading papers

We have all been there: stuck in the middle of the quarter staring at a grade that understandably brings us worry and stress. And the worst part of the whole ordeal is that you know that is not even your real grade.

Whether it be a test you feel not so sure about or a paper you know you did poorly on and you are awaiting to see how it will affect your grade, every student has a right to know how they are doing in their classes at any given time.

Too often I have opened progress book to find that I have a D or an F in a class that I know I am actually passing by a fairly large margin. But I am still staring at blank grades or zeros on assignments that I made up the next day.

A lot of teachers wait until the last-minute to put in all of their grades at the end of each quarter, leaving many students who may be on the brink of a passing or failing grade, wondering down to the last second what their fate is.

This becomes very unhelpful when we come in looking for help or makeup work, wondering what we can possibly to do to bring our grades up before it is too late, and even our teachers do not know how to help because they do not know where we truly stand in their class.

This leaves us with one question: should teachers have stricter due dates for their grades?

I think yes.

I think that grades should be updated weekly so that every student knows where they stand in all of their classes and knows exactly what they need to do if their grade isn’t what they thought it would be.

This doesn’t mean that there aren’t teachers that do this anyways, because there absolutely are, and students appreciate those teachers to a great degree.

It is the teachers that put in the grades from the first one or two weeks of the quarter, and then fail to update them until the last few days of that quarter who I am concerned with.

This does not make or break a teacher’s actual education skills, it only makes or breaks a student’s experience in that class, and possibly their grade coming out of it.