Hearing impaired 12-year-old on bicycle hurt in Cleveland shootout involving two cars

According to Cleveland police a 12-year-old girl shot in the foot the night of Monday May first. The shooting took place on Cleveland’s East Side. She was shot in the middle of a shootout involving two cars.

The shooting occurred around five in the evening on Kempton Avenue which is near East 105th Street in the city’s Glenville neighborhood. More details on the shooting were released Tuesday May second by the Cleveland police.

After the young girl was shot, her grandfather came to her and provided first aid until paramedics reached the scene. She was then rushed to Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital for treatment of her wound.

According to police the twelve-year-old was hearing impaired.

The investigators believe the bullets may have been intended for a neighbor also living on Kempton Avenue. The reason behind this belief is that person’s house was struck by the gunfire as well.

Cleveland police said that a fight broke out outside a nearby home and the witnesses saw several men in two red vehicles shooting at one another.

The 12-year-old was shot as those vehicles continued driving down the street,shooting according to Cleveland police Sgt. Jennifer Ciaccia. The girl’s grandfather was on the porch watching his grandchildren at the time.

Police have not identified or arrested any suspects in the shooting, which remains under investigation. Also police did not provide the girl’s medical condition on Tuesday.

Investigators are asking anyone with information to contact them at 216-623-5518. Information can also be sent anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 216-252-7563, or text TIP657 to 274637.