Fad Diets

Fad+Diets

Weight loss requires a long-term commitment, yet even the dieters are tempted by the quick weight loss that fad diets promise. As new weight lose gimmicks come along, people forget about the negatives associated with most fad diets. for example, lack of nutrition.

“It seems to be human nature to be attracted to fad diets, which promise quick and easy results,” says Allen Knehans, PhD, Oklahoma University Health Sciences. Weeding out fad diets takes a bit of effort.

Some red flags to look for would include; It refers to foods as “good” or “bad”, The diet involves crash dieting, or extreme reduction in eating and drinking, the diet promises that you will lose weight at an unrealistic pace, and simply  the diet sounds too good to be true. The most important question about any weight-loss plan is not whether it is effective, but whether it’s safe.

Many fad diets work for a short period of time. Usually the drop comes from unhealthy calorie reduction or water weight loss. If you are concerned that a weight-loss plan could be a fad diet, do some research. Better solutions include working with a nutritionist or registered dietitian.

“People should follow recommendations made by reputable organizations, such as the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, which are made by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services,” Knehans says. The reality of weight loss is that, in the long run, a slow and steady approach brings lasting results way better than any quick weight-loss fad. Do not use fad diets, stay healthy.