2017 NCAA Softball Tournament

May 12th was the start of the 2017 NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) softball tournament. 

The 2017 NCAA softball tournament bracket was revealed on Sunday night, with 64 teams all over the country fighting to be the next champions.

Thirty-two teams receive automatic bids for winning their conferences, including defending champion of last year Oklahoma, victors in the Big 12. The other 32 teams were selected at large by the NCAA.

The 64 teams are split up into 16 different regionals, played at the home field of the top team in each region. The regionals, played from May 18-21, will each produce one winner, with the 16 regional winners which will then go into the eight super regional matchups. The super regionals are best-of-three series to be played from May 25-28, with the eight winners advancing to the Women’s College World Series, played in Oklahoma City from June 1-7.

Here’s the eight super regional matchups:

• Florida vs. Alabama
    • Tennessee vs. Texas A&M
    • UCLA vs. Ole Miss
    • Florida State vs. LSU/Louisiana
    • Oregon vs. Kentucky
    • Washington vs. Utah
    • Auburn vs. Oklahoma/Tulsa
    • Arizona vs. Baylor

The top-seeded Florida Gators had a win of  1-0 to the Oklahoma State Cowgirls. Florida advanced with a 5-0 shutout of Oklahoma State hours later.

Delanie Gourley pitched an amazing game, going the full seven innings while allowing one hit and striking out 11 batters.

With what’s still a loaded field of teams, the 2017 Women’s College World Series is shaping up nicely when the super regionals conclude May 28.