Sleeping Patterns

photo courtesy of funny-pictures.picphotos.net

Sleep, one of the most fundamental needs of every animal ever and performed by different means from species to species. Some animals rest part of their minds to stay conscious 24/7 while others need to be fully unconscious. Some can sleep for days, weeks, or even years.

The concept of humans once thinks of the 7 to 10 hours a night sort of sleep. Unless one’s a teenager, then the idea of being well rested becomes a luxury. That sort of sleep is called monophasic. Most have gone by this model all due to the industrialization of society during the end of the nineteenth century. Before that many slept in the biphasic model: getting two segments of 3-4 hour sleeping in with usually a time to eat or perform other rituals between the two periods.

Studies conducted have shown that the common idea of one long stretch of rest is not the most beneficial. Quite the opposite. Though many go by this model, it is the least beneficial for one to achieve the cleansing of toxins, a main goal of one’s body as they rest their heads for shuteye.

The found most effective way of gaining rest is within a model called Everyman. It is based in the idea of getting 3.5-5 hours of sleep lightly and then having 2-4 naps not surpassing twenty minutes throughout the day. It is growing in popularity and has been found to be healthier than monophasic sleep according to the polyphasic society and phycology today.

For those wanting to stay afloat when they can’t get their full eight hours, an alterative method might just be the answer.