Federal Prosecutors want to create a new “strike force”

Cory Shaffer, cleveland.com

Federal prosecutors in northeast Ohio are trying to create a new “strike force” that is designed to put more money towards combating the heroin courage, opioid abuse, and violent crime in northeast Ohio through law enforcement.

This would force pool resources from federal, local and state law enforcement. If it is approved, it would piggyback on the work that is already being done by agents who work with the U.S attorneys office. In order for this to go through and happen the justice department would need to sign off. Of that would come more money to target opioid and violent crimes.

Said by a U.S attorney, “the strike force would encompass the Northern Ohio Law Enforcement Task Force, which brings together agents from the FBI, IRS and DEA along with police from Cleveland, the suburbs and the county.” I agree with that I feel like it would bring all the agents from different places together.

The attorney’s office applied for this several years ago, but the justice department instead awarded it to Chicago. Since then that justice department has seemed receptive to re-considering the northeast Ohio application. They are going to keep trying to get them to accept it but it will take some time.

The new “strike force” would help avoid duplicating efforts between law enforcement to target large drug trafficking organizations. The application comes at a time when Cuyahoga County is experiencing a large number of opioid deaths. Thirteen people suffered opioid related deaths in the county over Memorial Day weekend.