The Bad Boy Theory

The Bad Boy Theory

The cigarette smoking, leaning up against his fast car, and never on time ‘one that got away’ is the typical bad boy one tries their best to steer clear of. Unfortunately, the bad boy of your life might be harder to spot.

Spotting a bad boy is hard when he usually doesn’t look the part. My bad boy wore a Timmy Turner hat and had sad eyes. Yours might’ve sagged his pants a bit and never gave you the time of day – either way they present themselves, the personality traits are the same.

The complexity of a bad boy goes far beyond his outsides. A bad boy is unhealthy to your mind but wanted by your body.  How can this happen? Well, our bodies release dopamine and adrenaline when interacting directly with danger, and even if our sensibility wants none of it, our bodies release the reward chemical that tempts us to go back. As teenagers and young adults, the frontal lobe of our brain (what controls impulse) is not fully developed. This lack in development makes the brain that much more vulnerable to a bad boy’s manipulative ways. As teenagers, we are all terribly inconsistent with our decision-making. Boys more in tune with the fast lifestyle and drugs are much more inconsistent than the regular old impulsive teen, and that’s attractive to a challenge oriented girl. Unfortunately, being challenge oriented is wildly encouraged and often utilized in the wrong ways.

Sadly, many women (or men, for that matter) cannot spot a bad boy when he’s standing right in front of them or even in their bed. The victims have an idea in their head of what a “bad boy” should look like… I’m sorry ladies and gents, your bad boy will most likely not look like Danny Zuko from Grease, nor will he be totally off-putting. The secret to being a successful bad boy is as follows: he never looks the part.

But all in all, bad boys are a necessary evil. Every woman will have one in her lifetime, if not many; you just have to know how to spot them.

Resources:

https://www.bustle.com/articles/147582-5-reasons-women-like-bad-boys-sometimes