Boy Kicked Out of Cub Scouts for Gun Control Question

“An issue that I’m concerned about is common sense gun control. I was shocked that you co-sponsored a bill to allow domestic violence offender to continue to own a gun. … Why on Earth would you want somebody who beats their wife to have access to a gun?” asked Colorado Cub Scout Ames Mayfield to State Senator Vicki Marble according to Fox 31 Colorado News.

The young boy was participating in a question-and-answer activity with the Senator, in which each Cub Scout in the den was asked to pose a question about a topic affecting society.

Ames thought that the question was appropriate given the recent Las Vegas shootings. His Scout leader, however, did not.

“He let me know in so many words that the den leader was upset about the topic of gun control. It was too politically charged,” said Ames’s mother regarding a meeting with the leader according to the New York Times. “He communicated that my son was no longer welcome back in the den.”

The Boy Scouts of America have reported that Ames is now in another den.

Since the incident, the Cub Scout has received some big support from others involved in politics.

Gabrielle Giffords, a former Congresswoman, told Ames that “this is exactly the kind of courage we need in Congress. Ames, call me in 14 years. I’ll campaign for you.”

Giffords is the wife of astronaut, Mark Kelly, who also had a conversation with Ames and his mother in which Kelly reportedly told him to “keep asking tough questions.”

Mrs. Mayfield was overjoyed with the positive comments made by these two prominent figures.

“It brought tears to my eyes,” she said.