Thor: Ragnarok Review

Thor: Ragnarok is the newest film inside the Marvel Cinematic Universe and stars Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Cate Blanchett, Idris Elba, Jeff Goldblum, Tessa Thompson, Karl Urban, Mark Ruffalo, and Anthony Hopkins. It is directed by Taika Waititi.

I’m not going to lie, Thor is kinda the most boring Avenger. I can hear you saying now, “I love Thor! His hammer is awesome!” or “what about Hawkeye?”. While Hawkeye’s powers are kinda lame, at least he has a character, with his home life being shown in the second Avengers movie. Thor’s character hasn’t been explored in his past two solo movies like other characters, like Ironman or Spiderman. So to say the least, I wasn’t too excited for this movie. Seeing Thor being dropped onto a bland Earth and fighting some new villain trying to destroy it didn’t sound too interesting to me—wow, was I surprised.

To start, this movie has an 80’s theme, with very colorful frames dominating the screen, and an 80’s rock filling the soundtrack, with Led Zeppelin’s Immigrant Song being the main feature. This change is very welcome, with the past Thor movies being bland, with cliché classical soundtracks. Also, this movie allows Thor to leave earth for most of the movie. While it made sense for the first movie to be on earth, so we can relate to the mythical god, we want to see the nine realms of the Thor universe, and this movie lets us, mainly taking place on an alien planet and Asgard.

Next, this movie is very funny. Thor has always taken himself a little too seriously, so to see him making jokes and not being so uptight lets us relate to him more. And it’s not just him, all the character’s in this movie are hilarious, from my personal favorite, Jeff Goldblum, to the Hulk himself. Also, this movie separates itself from the Marvel universe well but remains apart of it. While keeping all these movies in the same universe it definitely creative, sometimes it ruins the solo movies. The whole time I am just thinking to myself, “why don’t they just call up the other superheroes?”. This movie sets up a situation in which Thor has to solve the problem himself, but also gives us Hulk as a secondary, allowing us to see relationships between characters we haven’t seen in the past.

But this movie isn’t perfect. The villain isn’t horrible, but it’s still a bad person trying to destroy the planet because they are bad. She’s not a horrible character, I would just like to see her purpose be explained a little more. And while the comedy in this movie is a good change in tone, sometimes it gets in the way of the more serious scenes. But this negatives in no way ruined this movie. It is a fun, action-packed addition to the MCU, and I would highly suggest seeing it. I give Thor: Ragnarok a 7/10.