Iran-Iraq Earthquake

Iran-Iraq Earthquake

Tehran Iran, at least 452 were killed and thousands (7,100) after a powerful earthquake struck near the border of Iran and Iraq late Sunday.

The earthquake was the deadliest this year, exceeding the one that hit in New Mexico in September, and was felt as far as Turkey and Pakistan.

The quake was at a depth of 23km (over 14 miles) which is considered shallow, according to the survey. It was felt across the region with after shock.

“Heartbreaking images from the earthquake damage and loss of life in Kermanshah (and in Iraq). We are grateful for global expressions of sympathy and offers of assistance. For now, we can manage with our own resources. Many thanks for all offers and we will keep you posted.”

The head of Iraq’s water resource management, “Hassan Janani, reported that the Darbandikhan dam, also in Sulaimaniyah, had sustained some damage, although his teams did not believe that residents were in any danger. A more complete assessment was planned after daybreak,” he said.

Rescue authorities in Iraq and Iran initiated rescue operations: Iran has declared three days of mourning.

United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said he was “deeply saddened by the loss of life” and the UN “stands ready to assist.” Offers of help came from elsewhere, including Italy, which was also hit by devastating earthquakes recently.

Health officials were asking to donate blood for the injured and are also in need of blankets, food, water, and infant formula.

Hopefully everyone injured has a fast and speedy recovery. Such a sad and hard thing to over come for both Iraq, Iran and all the other places that were hit.