Matt Lauer terminated from NBC News

Matt Lauer fired from NBC News after reports of sexual misconduct

Matt Lauer, host of NBC News’ “Today”, has been fired after a detailed report came forward accusing  Lauer of sexual misconduct while covering the 2014 Sochi Olympics. NBC News Chairman Andrew Lack issued a company-wide email early Wednesday morning saying that Lauer’s actions represented a “clear violation of our companies standards.”

After the accusations against Lauer where revealed, Today Show anchor Savannah Guthrie gave an emotional opening monologue to the show say that she was “heartbroken for him and “the brave colleague who came forward to tell her story and any other women who have their own stories to tell.”

Sexual Misconduct has recently been storming through all aspects of life after several high-profile men such Harvey Weinstein, Charlie Rose, Kevin Spacey, and now Matt Lauer has been accused of various forms of sexual harassment with victims coming forward years later after the incident. A New York Times report, covering the Lauer accusations, has revealed that an additional two women have come forward Wednesday following the NBC statement that was issued earlier that day.

Lauer later issued a statement Thursday saying that “Some of what is being said about me is untrue or mischaracterized, but there is enough truth in these stories to make me feel embarrassed and ashamed…. Repairing the damage will take a lot of time and soul-searching and I’m committed to beginning that effort. It is now my full-time job. The last two days have forced me to take a very hard look at my own troubling flaws. It’s been humbling. I am blessed to be surrounded by the people I love. I thank them for their patience and grace.”

Lauer was scheduled to make $20 million dollars this year.