Cyntoia Brown Case

Cyntoia Brown Case

After spending over 10 years in jail, Cyntoia Brown’s case resurrected into the media once again–individuals all around the country infuriated with her unfortunate fate. Before she was put behind bar, the 16-year-old girl spent her life abused and sold for sex by a drug dealer names “Cutthroat.” She was found guilty for the murder of a man she had been sold to, Johnny Allen, who was found naked and shot in the back of the head. Her case has recently become a focal point of justice, rape, and gender and where society draws the line between survival and premeditated murder.

In 2004, her case barely moved the country–but now has exploded across the social media platforms with Rhianna’s recent post asserting her struggles to the pubic. Her post reads, “Imagine at the age of 16 being sex-trafficked by a pimp named “cut-throat.” After days of being repeatedly drugged and raped by different men you were purchased by a 43-year-old child predator who took you to his home to use you for sex. You end up finding enough courage to fight back and shoot and kill him.”

On August 2004, Brown testrified that she was solicited for sex by Johnny Allan, who kidnapped her from a sonic parking lot and kept her captive in his home. One day, Brown finally reaches the courage to shoot Allan with his own gun–in attempt to escape.

In response, the prosecution argues the motive for killing her kidnapper was, in fact, not self-defense but rather robbery since Brown proceeded to steal Allan’s wallet. Brown is then tried as an adult and convicted of first degree murder, first degree felony murder, and aggravated robbery. The Supreme Court offered her a “beam of hope”–opening the possibility of parole when she is 69 years old.

Brown’s advocates strive for a change of law by continuing the interest of her story–hopefully inspiring a change in law for the greater good.