Grammy Nominations

Grammy+Nominations

For the first time since 1999, no solo white male has been nominated for best album of the year. Disgusting lack of diversity or minority artists getting the recognition they deserve? Either way you slice it, there’s a change coming in art, culture and politics; the Grammy’s are just a gauge for it.

This year, the Lebron James of the entertainment industry was nominated for his album “Awaken, My Love!”. That’s right. Donald Glover, aka Childish Gambino, brought a funkadelic soul album into the 21st century. The tracklist includes “Me and Your Mama” (which was the opening song in a recent blockbuster movie Get Out), “Zombies” which is a catchy commentary on the music business and “The Night Me and Your Mama Met”, a sweet and slow ballad.

The next album nominated is Kendrick Lamar’s “DAMN”. Lamar has been known to provide chilling features and poignant bars, as well as a few good albums. “DAMN”, however, is a hybrid of all his talents. This album is a true compilation of all Lamar’s experiences through being born in Compton, CA and making it in the music industry. “DAMN” features a diss track entitled “HUMBLE.”, an entirely too true narration in the song “LUST.” and a catchy conclusion in the song “DUCKWORTH.” Kendrick Lamar really outdid himself in writing this album and producing it; listen and you’ll hear the time and dedication put in.

Other albums nominated were “4:44” by Jay-Z, “Melodrama” by Lorde and “24K Magic” by Bruno Mars. All nominations this year are in tune with politics, culture and art, as all music should be. A good, long listen to every track of the albums nominated will do you some good, especially if you’re among the people who wanted to see some country star up on the top 5.