Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria Making a Splash

After a recent study of surfers on the coast of England and Wales, as well as water samples and tests on average beach-goers, researchers have made a shocking discovery of antibiotic resistant bacteria. This bacteria’s name is E. Coli and it won’t be the only bacteria to mutate against antibiotics.

Researchers believe that surfers are most susceptible to harbor antibiotic resistant E. Coli because of the water they swallow on accident out on the waves, however, that doesn’t keep you safe from the harmful effects of mutating bacteria. The World Health Organization calls antibiotic resistant bacteria “one of the biggest threats to global health, food security, and development today.” So, how does this bacteria get spread and why is it becoming antibiotic resistant? Well, antibiotics are fed to livestock to keep them healthy, their manure fertilizes crops and cultivates stronger and longer living E. Coli, and finally contribute to run off into nearby water to find its way into your system. This ARB (antibiotic resistant bacteria) problem is not just central to England and Wales, but, as its cycle is described, a problem for anyone living by running water, lakes or an ocean. That includes Lakewood, OH.

These bacteria such as E. Coli are brutal on the body and can kill humans and animals if not treated properly with an antibiotic; unfortunately, there’s been an intense rise in antibiotic resistant bacteria and not enough talk about it.

I write this article to bring to light the epidemic of ARBs that could potentially effect anywhere with either or both running water and livestock. The United States holds a belief that we are immune from such bacteria spreading into our natural ecosystems and hurting humans on such a high tier, but this belief is fiction. We are just as susceptible to this beast of a bacteria than any third world country. Be aware, be clean and be proactive.

Sources:

http://www.newsweek.com/surfers-swallowing-sea-water-are-more-likely-spread-antibiotic-resistant-e-781902