“An Emotion” by Semra Dervisevic

Knees are trembling. Feet are tapping. Stomach is growling. Nerves are burgeoning. This is the average day for “Nervous”, facing one barrier after the next. His fingernails are down to the core (thankfully he has not resorted to his toenails yet). He is always there, in your brain, all the way in the back corner just waiting for a time when you need to present something to a large group of peers or when you are talking to your crush and are saying all the wrong things and are rambling on and on without pause and–kind of like how this sentence is right now. These are the moments when Nervous shines. Although I am not sure his sickly green-yellow colored body has the capability of “shining”. His body is in the shape of a spaghetti noodle, very skinny and straight. He holds two big round glasses on his nose and has about four strands of hair on his head. He is always pacing the floors, back and forth, back and forth. The words “calm” or “relax” mean nothing to him.

Nervousness is something you cannot just simply shake off. Nervousness is something you have to learn to control. Everyone (I mean, everyone) gets nervous, some are just better at hiding it than others. Nervous is always there, waiting, you just have to make sure he stays that way.