Midterm Elections

Midterm Elections

As (almost) everyone in the U.S. knows, a president traditionally is elected for four years. And unless the president is impeached (which is fairly difficult to do), these years are dark ones for the people who did not vote for them. This is especially true in the years since Trump was elected; many people are outraged by his skewed conservatism and can only hold onto the hope that he will be impeached. But there may be a new hope, and this one is a lot more probably attainable than Trump’s impeachment.

This November, the Midterm elections will be held. This basically means, for those who don’t know, that the House of Representatives has reached its two-year expiration date and all 435 members are going to be re-elected. About 30 seats in the senate will also be replaced.

In the elections, for over the past 100 years, the average losses of the president’s party was 32 seats in the house and 2 in the Senate. And Democrats only need to take 2 senate seats and 24 house seats to reclaim congress. And if this comes to be, it would be a lot harder for Donald Trump to pass Republican bills.

But is this a realistic hope? Perhaps not. The main issue is that many states that are primarily Democratic have “pockets” of Republicanism that result in their seats being conservative in Congress. Also, Republicans recently passed a tax plan with corporate tax cuts, which had unexpected results of the corporate organizations paying their workers more. This caused their republican party’s approval rating to go up.

Still, though, so far many midterm elections that have occurred during Trump’s presidency have all been voting democrat. It is also important to understand that many millenials will be coming of age to vote before this election, and a lot of them are quite liberal.