March for Our Lives

March for Our Lives

Students and citizens of the United States have had enough! A “March for Our Lives” is scheduled for March 24 in Washington D.C. and across the world in order to honor the lives lost in the Florida shooting and to protest gun violence, according to Time Magazine.

This March on Washington is being organized by a group of students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida, where 17 students and teachers were brutally killed in a tragic school shooting on Valentine’s Day.

Merchandise for the event can already be bought to show support, with products including t-shirts and sweatshirts soon to be joined by bumper stickers, hats, and more according to the March for our Lives website.

Our own Cleveland, Ohio, will also be hosting a “sister” march, along with countless other cities, in Public Square. This march will begin at 10 a.m. and last until 1 p.m., and is being organized by local high school students The Facebook page for the event already shows that around 1,000 are going for sure, while 5,400 people are interested in attending.

The popularity of the march has caught like wildfire– according to CNN, the GoFundMe page for the national event in Washington has racked up 1.7 million dollars within a span of three days, and Oprah Winfrey, the Clooneys, Steven Spielberg, and Jeffrey Katzenberg have donated an additional 2 million. The money left over will ideally go to the funds of the shooting’s victims.

This March on Washington is yet another visible sign of the anger and sadness of students across the nation after losing their fellow classmates on February 14th, making it clear that these emotions are here to stay and have given rise to a whole new movement.