Boys Basketball Team Wins SWC Conference

This past Friday was a pivotal game for the Boys Basketball team, held in the new gymnasium against North Ridgeville. At the end of the game, the score was 71-52, with Lakewood in the lead. This means that Lakewood took the SWC Conference championship trophy.

The game itself was very exiting to witness. The crowd was the biggest since the opening game on December first, and dressed in an all-black theme.

Lakewood started with a lead right into the first quarter, but as the first and second quarter progressed the lead dwindled. It was only after half-time and into the third quarter that the Rangers regained the advantage, gaining a 43-30 lead in only 4 minutes. Ridgeville was never able to recover from this lead. Although they put up a good fight, the combination of constant offense and vigilant defense did not allow the opposition to take control.

The joy and excitement when the final seconds ticked down from the clock and the team was victorious was amazing. The players and student section stormed the court to congratulate the team about the win as soon as the game was over.

This is an especially end to the season for the Seniors, who had not won a conference title championship in their high school career yet. The last time the Rangers won in such a large-scale was in 2014, when they claimed the West Shore Conference trophy (although this conference does not exist anymore).

It was also great that the trophy could be won in the first year in the new gym. Maybe having a new start in the new facility worked magic in a way. Or maybe we just have a really talented team.