1-14 women continue smoking during pregnancies

In 2016, about one and 14 women continued to smoking cigarettes during pregnancies, according to a report released Wednesday.

Researchers gathered information by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center for Health Statistics released that 7.2% of all expectant mothers smoked. Each state percentages vary widely.

The popularity of smoking was highest in West Virginia, about 25.1% of women reported smoking at any time during pregnancy. The lowest was in California, where 1.6% reported smoking.

Smoking during pregnancy puts your baby at risk for certain birth defects. Also can put them at risk to be born early or have low birth weight and can raise the risk of stillbirths or sudden infant death syndrome, according to the CDC.

“Women in West Virginia smoked during pregnancy more than five times as often as women in the states with the lowest prevalence,” Drake said.

Since most women might be less likely to admit they smoked during pregnancy, the popularity of smoking might be under rated, said Dr. Robyn Horsager-Boehrer.

“With the birth certificate data, its easy to use it for things such as weight, length, potentially the presence of anomalies, things that are a little bit more objectively recorded during the course of the delivery.”

Yet for many patients, not just pregnant women, it is found to be very hard to quit. On the other hand pregnancy can be their opportunity to overcome their addiction to nicotine.