Making History

Making+History

The Lakewood Boys’ Basketball team made history on Saturday March 3, 2017. They played North Royalton to advance to the district semi-finals. The Bears of North Royalton put up a fight, but the Rangers lead was too much to come back from. Lakewood beat North Royalton 49-57.

After the game, they made history by setting a new record of 22 wins for the Lakewood Boys’ Basketball Program. The players had already made history by winning their conference and for making it 3 rounds into the playoffs. They had a big challenge ahead after their win against North Royalton. They had the rivals from down the street, St.Ed’s. St.Ed’s was walking into the game (20-3) while the Rangers were walking in (22-2). The players and coaching staff knew that this game was the biggest of them all.

On March 7, 2018 in Strongsville the Lakewood Rangers were taking on the St.Edwards Eagles to advance to the Division 1 Strongsville District Final against the winner of St.Ignatius Wildcats and the Medina Bees. The Rangers had been preparing for the game all week working hard in practice, being locked in and focused. The Eagles knew that Lakewood was their only threat to get to the District Finals.

At the end of the first half , the Rangers trailed the Eagles by 15 points. In the locker room the Rangers Head Coach, Alex Cammock told his team they needed to slow down, stop turning the ball over and get the ball to the rim. Even though the Rangers came out and put a fight up in the second half, it was too hard to cut the big lead the Eagles had. The Eagles beat the Rangers 59-45. Senior Jacob Sala, ended his high school basketball career with 16 points leading the Rangers.

Even though the Rangers didn’t beat St.Ed’s , they put up a fight and made history by winning the conference and having the most wins ever in Lakewood Boys Basketball.