Marvel’s ‘Black Panther’ Tops Off $1.1 Billion Worldwide

Marvel Studios’ BLACK PANTHER..Black Panther/T’Challa (Chadwick Boseman)..Ph: Film Frame..©Marvel Studios 2018

Only less than a month out in theaters and it is now Walt Disney Studios’ 16th title and Marvel Cinematic Universes’ 5th ever movie to pass $1 Billion in the box office. Black Panther is ranked No. 9 of all domestically and become the No. 2 superhero movie, passing ‘The Dark Knight.’ 

The film has passed global totals of ‘Transformers:Age Of Extinction’ and ‘Skyfall.’ It launched 16% ahead of Disney-Marvel’s “Thor: Ragnarok” and is the year’s biggest opening of a Western title in China. A moderate estimate would call for an additional $140-$150 million domestically, and another $225-$235 million internationally. Domestic high-end would be around $165-$175 million in additional box office receipts, while the foreign high-end additional revenue would be about $265-$275 million. That gives us a total of $1.13 billion-$1.15 billion dollars as the highest-end realistic estimate. 

The movie is so big and powerful internationally, that it has already officially been called for a sequel.”One of the favorite pastimes at Marvel Studios is sitting around on a part one and talking and dreaming about what we would do in a part two,” Feige said. “There have been plenty of those conversations as we were putting together the first ‘Black Panther.’ We have ideas and a pretty solid direction on where we want to head with the second one.”

Not only has the ‘Black Panther’ movie stayed No.1 globally, but also the “Black Panther: The Album’ has been No.1 for three weeks on Billboard 200 and iTunes charts. It is logged to be the longest movie album on Billboard charts since Walt Disney’s 2013 movie, ‘Frozen.’ 

“Regardless, the popularity of “Black Panther,” which took in $192 million in North American theaters its opening weekend, lets me — and people of other minority groups — dream of one day seeing our own superheroes.” – Dean Obeidallah (CNN, 2018)