Austin Serial Bomber Dead

Austin Serial Bomber Dead

After a string of exploding packages terrorizing Austin, Texas for three weeks, police have stated that the search for the serial bomber ended in a suburb outside the Texas capital when the suspect blew up an explosive inside his car as officers closed in.

The suspected bomber has been identified as Mark Anthony Conditt, 23, of Pflugerville, Texas. Police tracked him down to a hotel north of Austin and followed Conditt as he drove away. As officers neared the car, Conditt detonated a bomb inside the vehicle, knocking back one of the approaching Austin SWAT officials.

The deadly campaign began with devices left at people’s home and moved to an explosive triggered with tripwire that included two shipped through FedEx. It is still unknown if any bombs are still out there.

“There could be other packages out there,” Christopher Combs, Special Agent in charge of the FBI’s San Antonio office. “We think we’re on top of this, but we just don’t know.”

The lingering uncertainty came on the heels of a tense period in Austin as five bombs exploded in the city and nearby, killing two people and injuring four others–spreading fear of an attacker police described as skilled and capable of shifting tactics.

The series of bombing began March 2, with a blast that killed Anthony Stephan House, 39, father of a young daughter. Then, 10 days later, another explosion killed Draylen Mason, a college-bound 17-year-old known for his passion for music. Mason’s mother was as injured.

Authorities said they were considering whether at least some of the visits were targeted because of their race. Relatives also wondered if any family connections played a role: House’s stepfather, is friends with Mason’s grandfather Norman, and both are prominent figures a local black church.

It is still unknown if bombs are circulating through the postal service or if they are tripwired elsewhere.