“March for our Lives” Protest

March for our Lives Protest

At just about 12:00 a.m. on March 24th, 43 Lakewood High Schools students along with a few chaperones took a bus to the nation’s capitol to be a part of the, “March for our Lives” movement. Junior Angie Amato, one of the students who had gone to DC, said that, “It was a great experience, and I’m very happy i was able to participate in such an incredible movement.”

The gathering was a successfully peaceful protest that displayed speeches from friends of students who lost their lives in recent school shootings and musical performances by artists such as Miley Cyrus, Ariana Grande, and Demi Lovato. The students who embarked on the six-hour drive got to be a part of a crowd that was estimated to be about 800,000 people. These students took part in the protest to show that they were ready for change.

This hot topic hits home for thousands across the nation who feel that they are scared to be in school as well as parents who fear their students’ school may be next. It is a very sensitive topic that has unfortunately developed into two sides; as events in America usually do.

There are those who think that making guns illegal to own, or something along those lines, would be the best way to solve the issue. The rationale of course would be, schools can not have shootings if there is no gun to shoot.

Opposing that, there are those who feel that removal of guns from the public is an infringement on their Second Amendment Right and that the solution lies elsewhere.

Regardless of how one may feel about guns, it is hopeful that the opposing viewpoints can be set aside in order to unite on common ground, the death of students in school is an issue that can no longer be put aside.