Yayoi Kusama at the Cleveland Museum of Art

If you live in Lakewood, you have probably visited the Cleveland Museum of Art. Whether this was on a school trip or a family trip or on your own, it is usually a nice experience. The great thing about the museum is that it is always free to the public, and one can easily get there by bus if they do not have access to a car.

If you are familiar with the museum, you are probably familiar with most of the exhibits. But, there is always something amazing going on in the rooms that are open for temporary exhibitions. A few years ago, I remember that an entire room was filled with balloons.

But the museum is getting ready for something just as incredible. This summer, the museum will be supporting an exhibit by Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama, who worked on her artistry for over 65 years.

Kusama was born in 1929 in Japan, but did most of her important work when she moved to New York City in 1957. She actually was supported and encouraged in her early years as an artist by none other than Georgia O’Keefe. But once she began her career, she was creative and talented enough to be able to have many works displayed for the public, and at the Museum of Modern Art in the city.

Perhaps her most breathtaking exhibits are the “Infinity Mirrors”. These displays are rooms covered entirely in mirrors and with patterned objects covering the floors. The exhibit will be offering no less than SEVEN of these rooms to explore.

Tickets for the exhibition can only be bought online and over the phone, so it is important to get them as soon as you can (the museum is expecting a full sellout). They will be going on sale for donors to the museum on April 2nd, for members on April 9th, and for the public on April 16th.