Love, Simon (2018)

Love, Simon is directed by Greg Berlanti and stars Nick Robinson as Simon Spier, a 17-year-old teen who lives a completely normal life, aside from his secret — he’s gay. When he learns about another teen from his school’s online forum who shares the same secret, he reaches out and falls hard for his pen-pal. Now, he just has to figure out who his mystery love is. He has a wonderful support system surrounding him but fears change, so he keeps his secret to himself. The movie also stars Kathrine Langford, Keiynan Lonsdale, Alexandra Shipp, Jennifer Garner and Josh Duhamel.

This movie is funny, sad and sweet all at the same time. Above all of this, the movie’s characters are relatable. You’ll be able to find at least one character in the movie who is in a situation similar to one you may be going through or you may have gone through before. A lot of times when there’s a conflict in a movie, it’s easy to choose a side. That’s just not the case here (well, except for one pretty big conflict.. it’s easy to pick a side there). The writers did a great job in writing in each character and giving them enough focus so that you’ll understand them and care about them. I feel like a lot of movies miss the mark on supporting characters and I’m thankful that they didn’t here. It keeps you engaged!

I was kind of worried that this would just be another coming-of-age movie, however, it definitely exceeded my expectations. It made me laugh, a lot. I cried, which I wasn’t even expecting to do. I felt deep for Simon and his friends; I love movies that make the audience feel something. Whether or not this accurately portrays every person who identifies as gay is not the point. The point is the industry was brave enough to do a movie like this & it did have some hard-hitting points that everyone can relate with; I would recommend this movie to all my peers.