Hockey Bus Crash Kills 16

Hockey Bus Crash Kills 16

Canada’s Saskatchewan province has been inflicted with great pain after a bus carrying a junior hockey team collided with a tractor trailer, leaving 16 people dead and at least 14 others injured.

“This is a dark moment for our city, our community our rivince,” Humboldt Mayor Rob Muench said Saturday afternoon. “There is no playbook on what to do in cases like this.”

Speaking at the news conference, RCMP Commisoner Curtis Zablocki sad the wreck occurred around 5pm Friday when the tractor -trailer, leaving west on Highway 335, collided with the bus travelling north on Highway 35. The driver, who was the lone occupant of the trailer, was not inured. He was detained initially but id currently being investigated as a criminal investigation.

The tragedy ha been felt across Canada, where hockey is the dominant sprit and making long bus rides to tournaments is normal for young players.

Cam Talbot, goalie for the Edmonton Oilers in the NHL, tweeted: “After all the hours spent on a bus with the boys over the years this one really hits home. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families and communities affected by this horrible tragedy. #PrayersForHumboldt”

The coroner misidentified two of the players involved in the fatal bus collision. Xavier Labelle, who was originally listed among the deceased, is actually alive, while Parker Tobin, who had been listed among the survivors, died.

Muench states  it will take a long time for Humbolt to recover. “We’re a small town and we’re overwhelmed with the outpouring of condolences we’ve received,” he said. “We’re asking for everyone’s support and consideration in the coming days and weeks and months and years it will take us to get through this.”