Do Your Research, Coachella Attendees

Do Your Research, Coachella Attendees

As the Coachella season rolls around and our Instagram feeds fill with photos of celebrities dressed in 70s boho chic, one can’t help but wonder how much they pay to attend, and who exactly started the event. At the Empire Polo Club in Indio, California, the Coachella Music Festival has been held every year since 1999. This festival is Woodstock-esque by nature but is superficial in actuality. Few who attend Coachella aren’t established celebrities, as ticket prices can range from $400 basic admission, to $999 a DAY. This festival lasts for two weekends, and all the headlining artists are spread out strategically to bring in the most revenue. So, what’s so bad about a big music festival where celebs show out in cool outfits? Nothing. The problem lies in the owner of Coachella, Philip Anschutz, a right-wing billionaire.

Anschutz owns an entertainment conglomerate called AEG, which owns Coachella. Anschutz funds the National Christian Foundation, which aggressively chips away at the rights of LGBT Americans. He also gives campaign money to representatives such as Scott Tipton who oppose gay marriage rights, are anti-abortion and are pro-gun. Anschutz also gave a substantial amount of money to Paul Ryan and the National Republican Senate Committee. Because he donates through his company, AEG, and other affiliates, he has shielded himself from certain social doom. Fortunately for us, the Internet is our oyster and we’ll continue to use it to out right-wing billionaires that y’all support blindly.

Overall, if you’re planning on saving a few paychecks to attend Coachella next year, buy a plane ticket or a dog instead. Your money goes directly into the pockets of both your favorite artists and a right-wing conservative (unless you’re into that! more power to ya).