Indians Kick off Puerto Rico Series With a Win

On Tuesday April 17th, the Cleveland Indians played game one of a two game series in San Juan, Puerto Rico at  Hiram Bithorn Stadium. It was a home-coming for Indians All-Star shortstop Francisco Lindor. Lindor hails from Caguas, Puerto Rico, so needless to say in this game the stands were filled with people cheering for him.

The game displayed six of the Indians best players All-Star shortstop Francisco Lindor, Cy-Young Award winner Corey Kluber, All-Star reliever Andrew Miller, All-Star third-baseman Jose Ramirez, outfielder Michael Brantley, and closer Cody Allen.

Kluber almost stole the show with six and two-thirds innings of one-run baseball. Kluber displayed the pitching skills that saw him win the Cy Young award last year, and if Kluber keeps pitching like this it’s possible he can win his third award this year. Miller and Allen relieved Kluber, and shut down the Twins line-up down.

Ramirez and Brantley both went three for five, with each hitting a home-run. Ramirez looks to start heating up after a slow start to the season, and re-gain the hitting stroke that saw him earn a starting spot in the All-Star Game last year. Brantley has shown the Indians that if he’s healthy this year, his bat will be invaluable to our success. Brantley, who has the reputation of being one of the better hitters on the team, has dealt with lingering injuries over the past two and a half years.

Even with rest of the team playing well, it was obvious that Lindor stole the show. He broke the 0-0 tie in the top of the fifth inning with a two run home-run. For Lindor, it was a dream come true to hit a major league home-run in front of his family in his homeland. The crowd went crazy after Lindor’s home-run, and it possibly will be the moment that can get Lindor’s bat going this season.

The Indians play again tonight, with Carlos Carrasco pitching, and with another Puerto Rico native, Roberto Perez starting at catcher.