Lost in Space lives on

Lost in Space lives on

Once again Netflix has done it. They have brought a show once thought to be dead back to life. Lost in Space is a show that is a re-imagining of a 1965 series of the same name. It is the adventure of space pioneering family.

The premise is an object crashed into earth in 2046 and it threatens the very existence of mankind. In reaction to this the Resolute, a spacecraft is launched carrying handpicked families to colonize a new world. The Robinson family is the 24th family picked to travel on the Resolute. Before ever reaching the destination, however, an alien robot breaches the Resolute. Many of the families are forced to evacuate the ship and take small short-range Jupiter space crafts. The Robinsons and other families now crash landing on a habitable planet are forced to battle this new planet they are now forced to call home along with battle their own demons as they try to find a way back to the mothership.

The original was three seasons long and spanned 83 episodes. A lot has changed in the past few decades so seeing a the reimagining of a show that was supposed to be about the future is pretty interesting. The new reimagining of the show is most likely not going to be the cheezy 60s vibe that the original thrived on but will most likely take, after the more serious sci-fi perspective that movies like 2001: A Space Odyssey set into stone in the later 60s. Along with that it will most key heavily rely on CGI over practical effects.

Only time will tell if this is a Netflix original that will take off or be a cheap cash grab for the company.