Trump vs. Syria

On April 7th, Syrian President Bashar al-Assd launched a chemical attack on his own people. The attack occurred right outside of Damascus, one of the biggest chemical program’s Syria has, killing more than 40 people. Doctors released photos showing children and adults with foam coming out of their mouth, indicating exposure to a nerve agent.

The next morning, President Trump was notified of this attack and took to Twitter, saying, “Russia vows to shoot down any and all missiles fired at Syria. Get ready Russia, because they will be coming, nice and new and “smart!” You shouldn’t be partners with a Gas killing Animal who kills his people and enjoys it!” Trump did not indicate when or where the missile strikes would happen.

On April 13, the United States, along with allies, Britain and France, launched 105 missiles at three different locations in Syria. One site that was targeted is located near Damascus and the other two, west of Homs. Both Russia and Syria have said that “a significant number” of the missiles launched were shot down. Although, the Pentagon denies this saying none of them were shot down.

“Assad retains 100 percent of this mass murder delivery systems,” Fred Hof, former President Barack Obama’s special adviser for transition in Syria, says, “If he concludes – as he did a year ago – that all he needs to do is observe a time out on using the really strong chemical munitions, then strikes will go down in history as empty gestures.” It is unsure if Assad will stop these attacks but we do know if it happens again, President Trump said he is ready to further punish the government.