Keegan Sabin

Keegan Sabin

Less than a week. In less than a week, I will be leaving these grounds as a student for the last time. It’s kinda strange when you think about it. The whole idea of time and age is a crazy concept but it’s what we consider normal.

A post from an unknown source that really hits me hard especially as I’m about to graduate is this. “At some point in your childhood, you and your friends went outside to play together for the last time and nobody knew it.”

This quote truly supports my claim about the concept of time and age being crazy. We probably continued to hang out with the same people but there was a night where we all went home from playing for the last time.

I could give anyone going into high school lots of advice but none of it matters at the end of the day. Life isn’t something you can be prepared for you just gotta test the waters to find out what’s best for you. The one thing I do want to suggest however is to remember where it started. I don’t mean things like where you grew up or where you went to school but more so the moments most of us tend to forget. If you meet a person and they end up sticking around in your life don’t forget how you met them.

My friend Noah and I have been trying to remember why we decided to hang out for the first time freshman year. The only thing I know about that day is what we did and when we did. Other things to remember is how you ended up is a crazy situation and why you wanted to do it in the first place.

A night I will never forget is a sleepover during the winter of my junior year. I convinced my friends to walk to Steak ‘n Shake at 10 that night in the middle of a snowstorm. We made it to the McDonald’s by Woodward and thought it was a bad idea. At the time none of us had cards so we couldn’t use Uber or Lyft but a man in the restaurant overheard our conversation and said he was an Uber driver. I, the leader of the group didn’t think twice and said awesome how much. He told us his price and we got into his car. One problem however was he didn’t have enough seats and that lead to two people being put in the trunk.

I look back at it now and realize he was not an Uber driver and so many things could have gone wrong on that trip. We made it to Steak ‘n Shake and got food but that isn’t what I remember most about that night. We had to walk home and decided we were going to walk through the valley. It was around midnight when we entered the valley and we all just ended up having one on one heart to hearts with one another.

My bond with each of them is an unbreakable one but we all accepted that we will go our separate ways sonnet than later. A lot more happened that night but that’s beside the point. We as humans are all pretty similar at the end of the day and what makes us is how we handle problems and the stories we have and that’s my one piece of at advice for anyone in high school or entering into it.