John McCain Dies of Brain Cancer

John McCain Dies of Brain Cancer

On August 25, John McCain lost the battle against brain cancer at the age of 81. The U.S. Senator not only served decades in Congress, but was a war hero and presidential nominee. McCain decided to terminate his treatment and to surround himself with family.

McCain received his diagnosis of brain cancer in July of 2017. He went in for a procedure to  remove a blood clot, where doctors then discovered the tumor. However, McCain did not let the news derail his career. After the procedure, he flew back to Washington D.C. to participate in a debate on healthcare. He began his treatment of chemotherapy, but after a year of fighting, he ended the battle.

Even in his grim situation, John McCain made the most of his situation. According to his wife, “He passed the way he lived, on his own terms, surrounded by the people he loved, in the place he loved best”. Through social media his loved ones shared their thoughts on McCain and the impact he had.

Many will remember McCain for the courage he displayed in Vietnam. The war hero was captured in North Vietnam. There he was held and tortured for five years. He was offered early release, but refused to leave without his fellow prisoners. His service for the country is admired by many.

The Senator’s funeral is going to be held on Saturday, September 1. The memorial services are being held in Washington. McCain’s mother, age 106, will be attending the funeral and burial along with the rest of his family. Other government officials and members of the military will be there to honor his memory. Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama are expected to speak at his funeral.