Cleveland Browns Home Opener

Cleveland Browns Home Opener

Last week was the start of the 2018 NFL season and the Browns opened their at season at home against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Last year the Steelers came on top both times winning 21-18 and 28-24. There was a lot of hype built up around this game because of the Browns roster changes in the off-season. Also these two teams are AFC North division rivals even though Pittsburgh has beaten them 14/16 times since 2010, it is still one the biggest games for both teams each year.

Weather played a huge role throughout the game. At the start of the game there were winds up to 35 mph and rain on top of that. Both teams came out and tried to establish a running game but not many points were scored after the first quarter. The score was tied at the end of the first quarter.

Early in the second quarter Pittsburgh drove down the field and scored a 4 yard touchdown run with 11 minutes left. The Browns offense was stagnant the first half after they weren’t able to convert on 3 turnovers. Both rain and wind were still playing a big role in the outcome of the game and at halftime the score was 7-0 in favor of Pittsburgh.

At the beginning of the 3rd quarter the Browns drove right down the field and scored on a 20 yard run by Tyrod Taylor. the score was tied at 7 a piece but in the next five minutes the Steelers put up two touchdowns to go up 21-7 by the end of the 3rd quarter.

Turnovers were still a factor in the game as Ben Roethlisberger fumble twice in the fourth quarter to fuel a Cleveland Browns comeback. Both Carlos Hyde and Josh Gordon scored to tie the game at 21 with 2 minutes left. Neither team could find a way to put up points before overtime or in overtime as the game ended in a tie.

Players were disappointed that nobody won the game. After the game Damarious Randall tweeted “Umm NFL gotta fix that … we don’t play no games to tie.”

Even after a tie this is the best start the Browns have had since 2004.