Widespread flooding in parts of the Carolinas

Hurricane Florence is no longer a hurricane but her dangers are still present. She has been downgraded to a “tropical depression” according to CNN but her risks are not at rest. The so-called tropical depression has already taken the lives of 18 citizens and threatens hundreds of more.

The storm has left 703,000 customers in North Carolina without power and an additional 61,000 in South Carolina. It is expected to get worse for those in Florence’s path based on recent predictions, “Florence will have left up to 40 inches of rain in southeastern North Carolina and northeastern South Carolina” said reporters Holly Yan, Cassie Spodak, and Jason Hanna of CNN who admittedly received these reports from the hurricane center. The rain is anticipated to cause widespread flash flooding and continuous flooding to areas already seeing the down graded hurricanes wrath.

Flooding across North Carolina has already become so rough that parts of high ways and public transportation has been shut down or closed until conditions get better. This has made it increasingly hard for humanitarian aid groups to provide relief to those affected by the storm. The coastal city of Wilmington has been hit the hardest in some experts eyes. It is almost impossible to get in let alone get out. “Any direction you try coming into the city, from 20 to 40 miles out, roads are still impassible,” stated Wilmingtons Mayor Bill Saffo. As Public utility companies have warned their citizens of the possible event that they run out of fuel they urge them to stockpile food and fill their bathtubs with safe drinking water.

Over 900 water rescues have been announced the governor’s office said. A volunteer Navy called “United Cajun Navy” has done its best by helping the locals. They reported that they have received around 200 broadcasts for help.

As Florence progresses those who are trapped hunker down and brace for what is ahead. It is too late for most to evacuate now leaving hundreds at risk of the flooding to come. Rivers are overflowing into whole cities and cutting off commerce and communication. The cost of the storm will continue to rise but the American public will do carry on helping those in need.